Monday, July 07, 2008

Thyroid News

Hello friends,

While I've regrettably been out of contact with some of you for a long time,
I'm writing to let you in on some tough news I've been dealing with
recently. As some of you know, I had surgery this past December to remove
a benign cyst from my neck. In April the growth came back. At first my
doctors thought it was just another benign cyst. Now, however, they've
concluded that I have thyroid cancer, and will need surgery and
radioactive iodine treatment. They will remove my thyroid, the tumor, and
my lymph nodes, then I'll take synthetic thyroid meds for the rest of my
life.

The surgery will take 6 hours, and is scheduled for July 22nd at
Georgetown University Hospital in D.C., where I'm doing my Clinical
Pastoral Education. I'm definitely getting more hands-on experience than
I bargained for. The good news is that thyroid cancer has a very good
rate of survival, and my doctors are all top-notch. I've also heard
LOTS of success stories regarding this type of surgery, so I'm feeling
very optimistic about my chances. My fiance Taryn and my family will
all be present, which will be a real blessing and source of comfort.

I ask for your prayers during this difficult time. Please pray for
healing, for guidance for the medical team, and for strength for Taryn and
for my family. I also ask for sensitivity and understanding in your
support. While I wish I could call and respond to each of you personally
with updates/etc, I simply cannot, and I trust that you understand.
Please know that this impersonal email is only written out of necessity,
and that I'll try to update you more when I get a chance.

Fortunately I have a lot of blessings in my life, including an upcoming
wedding, which the doctors assure me I'll be able to make and be present
for. After that, things are a little up in the air. Thanks for all your
prayers and support.

In faith,

Christoph


Psalm 121
I lift up my eyes to the hills—
from where will my help come?
2My help comes from the Lord,
who made heaven and earth.

3He will not let your foot be moved;
he who keeps you will not slumber.
4He who keeps Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

5The Lord is your keeper;
the Lord is your shade at your right hand.
6The sun shall not strike you by day,
nor the moon by night.

7The Lord will keep you from all evil;
he will keep your life.
8The Lord will keep
your going out and your coming in
from this time on and for evermore.

Christoph Schmidt
Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia
www.ltsp.edu

2 Comments:

At 8:58 AM , Blogger John Kahler said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:59 AM , Blogger John Kahler said...

Christoph, God be with you and those around you as you recover from surgery and continue with your treatment. Just saw the posting this morning, I trust you are doing well. You will continue to be in our prayers. - John and Carol

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home