Friday, July 13, 2007

Technology...

Greetings everyone, from Tanzania! Internet access has been pretty hard to come by, and excruciatingly slow and unreliable over the last few weeks, especially for this technologically spoiled Westerner. To make matters more complicated, all my writings on my flashdrive seem to be frozen and untransferable to internet cafe computers, inexplicably! Hope to solve that problem soon so that you all can know some of the stories of the last three weeks (South Africa, Zambia/Zimbabwe, Gaborone, Lesotho, Tanzania)

Today I'm headed up Mt. Kilimanjaro for a 6 day trek. Just me, a guide, and two porters! Should be interesting! Please keep us all in your prayers.

Yours,

Christoph

4 Comments:

At 1:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christoph,

Wow, what a trek. The only global experience I've had this summer is coming up this weekend at the Global Mission Event in Columbus, OH. At this point I think it is all I can really handle as I prepare to move to Milwaukee next week.

Be safe and enjoy yourself.

Yours in Christ,
Carla Rush

 
At 5:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christoph-

Blessings to you on your travels.

-Nicole Diroff

 
At 8:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christoph, I'm curious to know how high you got on Kili in 6 days? I'm sitting here at work in Seattle, doing international travel consultations. Just today I read an article about the large number of people suffering from altitude illness from ascending too quickly (recommendation is to take 10 days to summit). Sure hope you didn't have any problems, and that your summer adventure is turning out to be all you had wished... All your Pacific northwestern friends are missing you!


Lori Roehl

 
At 6:34 PM , Blogger Christoph said...

Hi Lori!

Actually, most parties were climbing Kilimanjaro in 6-7 days. There seems to be two different schools of thought: 1) More climbing days for better acclimatization (and yes, maybe safer), or 2) These extra days only serve to wear the climber down unnecessarily, leading to greater fatigue. For Kilimanjaro (probably not so for Everest and other higher peaks), most guides support this second school of thought. For myself, I had some minor headaches and sluggishness, but thankfully none of the severe, life-threatening symptoms!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home